A young woman brought her shy 15-year-old son, Evans, who glanced at the Obronis (white people) with mistrust. Evans showed me his open wound, which stretched down the entire outer side of his dirty and infected right leg. His mother explained that he had fallen into a fire two months ago and that the wound would not heal. I thought to myself: it is a wonder that he survived the burn, let alone the blood poisoning that is now plaguing him! We immediately began to clean the wound and prescribed him several medications. Before time came for him to leave, the important back-story of Evans’ case had surfaced; he has epilepsy and during one of his attacks he fell into the fire. And so, after further diagnosis, his anti-epilepsy treatment began as well.
Evans, who had been thrown out of school due to his apparent strange behavior long before he was burnt, is now in his twenties. His epilepsy is unrecognizably more manageable for him now. He still attends the Mobile Clinic every month and, having completed his education, helps his father on their farm.